What is this article about?
This article is to help users update the firmware for their XY GPS Finder on their iOS device. We are constantly pushing new versions of our firmware to better the experience of our users, and improve the performance of our new XY GPS Finders. If you experience an error with your XY GPS, it is always a good idea to check if there is an update available. We hope to soon implement notifications for new updates, but in the meantime, check every few weeks to see if there is one available to you.
IMPORTANT: The following items must be completed in order to properly update the firmware on your XY GPS!
- The XY GPS must be in Bluetooth range of your smartphone to receive the firmware update
- The XY GPS must have battery to complete this process. You should see a light when you push the button on your XY GPS. For best results, plug in the XY GPS and do the firmware update while it is charging.
- You must have a connection to Wi-Fi or cellular to receive the new firmware update
- The XY GPS must already be registered to your account. Follow steps 9-13 in the image below to add the XY GPS to your account. If you need help registering your XY GPS to your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or check out this article on adding an XY GPS.
- You must have the most updated version of the iOS XY Find It app. Please check your App Store to make sure you are up-to-date!
The following photo is an instructional image to help you update the firmware on your device. If you would like step-by-step instructions, please continue scrolling.
- Select the XY GPS you need to update. You can do this by clicking on the small square in the main map that has the name of the XY GPS you need to update.
- Once you click that small square, it will become larger and you will see a small gear in the right corner. These are the settings for the XY GPS you have selected. When you are on this image, please check to make sure your phone is in Bluetooth range of the XY GPS. It will need to be in Bluetooth range to properly download the new firmware.
- Click on the gear to access the XY GPS's settings. This will open a new page that looks like the image in "Step 3" above.
- Scroll down until you see an "Update firmware" button. Please note you will need to be connected to your XY GPS via Bluetooth in order to begin the download. You may need to click "Connect" to start the Bluetooth connection.
- Click the "Update" button in the bottom right corner, and wait while the update downloads. Please do not try to cancel the update partway, or turn off your phone. This may cause the firmware to break.
- After the download is complete, please check the XY GPS's settings to make sure your firmware number has changed. If it has not, you may need to remove and re-add the XY GPS to your account.
- Remove the XY GPS from your account by scrolling past the "Update Firmware" button, and selecting "Unlink from Account"
- Confirm that you would like to remove this XY GPS from your account
- Click the "+" in the top right corner to re-add the XY GPS to your account.
- Select "XY GPS" in the list of XY Finders that are available
- Follow the on-screen instructions to wake up and register your XY GPS
- Name your XY GPS
- Take a photo for your XY GPS (optional)
- SAVE your XY GPS back to your account with the check mark in the top right corner